Tuesday, November 07, 2006

The Things Kids (and some adults) Say

We had another family gathering last night to celebrate my grandmother's 83rd birthday. And whilst the cousins were talking among ourselves, we discovered the funny things kids sometimes say. Of course, in most instances, it happened with my cousin's kids, their kid's friends, their friend's kids etc etc.

Mom: So what did you get for your math exam?

Pri 1 Kid: 83

Mom: 83 upon what?

Pri 1 Kid: 83 upon 70

Mom: How can that be?

Pri 1 Kid: Really. It's 83 upon 70.

Brilliant. The mom is still clueless as to what the kid scored.


Tutor: So you got 86 marks for Math. That's not bad. What was the highest?

Pri 2 Kid: 100 upon 100.

Tutor: Did anyone get 70 something?

Pri 2 Kid: Sure got la. I just dunno who only.

Now, wouldn't that statement have made you feel like a dimwit?


Grandma: What made you choose "church mouse" in answer to the question "As poor as a..."?

Pri 1 Kid: It just seemed like the most poor thing one lor. The horse like not so poor thing.

Then we have some ADULTS who say the weirdest things too. I was waiting for some friends for lunch when I realised that I had been disconnected from webmessenger. Again.

Me: This web thing is very sickening. I got DCed again!

Cooking Girl: It's a lunchtime thingy la.

Me: What lunchtime thingy??

Cooking Girl: Lunchtime always liddat one what.

Now I'm trying to recall whether the disconnections really usually happen during lunchtime. I really don't think so. I think she simply wasn't concentrating on what I was saying, and gave me an 'anyhow' answer. Because, she was "cooking".

I repeated our conversation to her after she had whipped up her virtual dishes. She laughed and said, "Did I really say that?"

Yes dear, you did.

No comments:

My Middle Child

My middle child. Got scolded by the father for not concentrating when doing her chinese work. Fell asleep on the bus till the driver did...