Monday, January 29, 2007

A Man's Best Friend

If you have time for only one book this year, make it John Grogan's "Marley & Me". Especially if you're a dog lover. More so if you own a Labrador.

I'm not one who can laugh whilst reading a comic, or tear while reading a sad novel. It takes a movie or some real live action scene to make me react instantaneously, if at all. I laugh like "seow" watching "Just for Laughs", and I tear everytime I watch that saccharine sweet scene from "Love Actually" or "Untamed Heart".

But this book, it got me smiling to myself and tearing whilst reading. I swear I looked like a "seow char bor" reading and tearing while reading the last few chapters on the train. It was a good thing I was at the 2-seater.

A man's best friend surely, has got to be his canine pal. Who else still greets you with so much enthusiasm every single day even after you've given him a good beating or tongue lashing? It's almost like they have an extremely short term memory.

Hence, it irates me when I hear of dog abuse cases. Or situations where humans react in a certain way, citing "it's just a dog what" as a reason. Oh, that really pisses me off. I tell you, some dogs behave better than some kids. And grown ups. Just last week, a friend of mine related an incident he had with a not-so-pleasant chain of vets. He has since written in to AVA with an account of what happened. I didn't have a pleasant experience on my one and only visit to this not-so-pleasant chain either, so I think there must be something really quite unpleasant about them.

2 comments:

miss ene said...

I read this book last year and LOVED IT!!!!

http://missene.wordpress.com/2006/07/22/quick-review-marley-me/

Pearl said...

can i borrow? ha once u fin of cos

My Middle Child

My middle child. Got scolded by the father for not concentrating when doing her chinese work. Fell asleep on the bus till the driver did...