Thursday, November 15, 2007

"I'll Never Let Go, Jack"

That was the line that greeted me when I switched on the telly just now. I was actually intending to watch some Channel 8 drama or channel surf when I heard it. So I stuck to Channel 5 and caught the last bit of Titanic - a show I'd already caught 3 times.

Then I was looking through my drawers and found this... ...


A set of 28 postcards with shots from the movie Titanic. Received them 10 years ago when Titanic was all the rage. I was looking for that one particular scene, but I couldn't find it. The scene where they're holding on to each other in the water and Jack makes Rose promise him that she'll never let go. Funny, I thought that was one of the sweetest parts of the show. There sure were a lot of pictures with Jack and Rose at the stern of the ship doing the "I'm flying" shots though.

10 years ago, Titanic made it into my "Favourite Movies" and "Can Watch Multiple Times Movie" lists.

10 years on, I can still watch it over again and it still leaves me in tears. Tsk.

The show is one peppered with saccharine-sweet, touching, heart-rendering scenes and lines from the show and the theme song, 'My Heart Will Go On'. The song, like the movie, was one that I could listen to over and over and over again, finding a reason to go "aaawww" in every line.

Every night in my dreams
I see you, I feel you
That is how I know you go on
Far across the distance and spaces between us
You have come to show you go on

Near far wherever you are
I believe that the heart does go on
Once more you open the door
And you're here in my heart
And my heart will go on and on

Love can touch us one time and last for a lifetime

And never let go till we're gone
Love was when I loved you
One true time I hold you
In my life we'll always go on

Near far wherever you are
I believe that the heart does go on
Once more you open the door
And you're here in my heart
And my heart will go on and on

You're here, there's nothing I fear
And I know that my heart will go on
We'll stay forever this way
You are safe in my heart
And my heart will go on and on

Sweet hor? Especially when you're only 19 and a sucker for romance. The scenes and lines stay stuck in your head.

Then at 29, you question the realism of it all. Never let go? Much as we don't wish to, we all have to let go of some things at some points in our life. No? Rose eventually let go of Jack's hand what. But as they song says, "In her life they'll always go on" and "her heart will go on and on". That's really sweet, but really, do we love with our heads or our hearts?

It's sad how one becomes more cynical with age and how complicated life becomes the longer you exist.

It would be nice if we could just be stuck at the age and time where everything's simple and sweet, can be taken at face value, and love is just .... that flutter you get in your heart when you see that special someone. Then perhaps the heart can go on and on.

5 comments:

nativity said...

Oops Purples...U r telling ppl your age already...oh no...wahaha

Anonymous said...

I have the exact same 28 postcards as you. Unbelieveable!

Ms Anyhow

Purples said...

Ms Anyhow: Told ya we have crossed lives. I can't believe how similar our lives can get! Scary!

So your cards are 10 years old too? Faded or not?

Anonymous said...

Mine is faded already, yellowed with age. The cardboard has also deteriorated you know.

That's how long ago it has been!

Ms Anyhow

Char Siew Pow said...

Hiaz.. That movie was a real tear-jerker for me too. And it was with SQ boy somemore.. Tsk.
Gross.

My Middle Child

My middle child. Got scolded by the father for not concentrating when doing her chinese work. Fell asleep on the bus till the driver did...