The advice came from HY. So when we touched down at Bangkok's Suvarnabhumi Airport, RT and I checked out the limo costs. It ranged from 600 - 1000 baht, and since the guy at the taxi counter told us 400 baht should be sufficient to take us to our serviced apartment, we opted for the taxi. Halfway through the journey, we realised that the meter was jumping like crazy - not quite the norm for Bangkok taxis. So it was no surprise that the total charge on the meter showed 500 baht, not including the 50 baht surcharge and 75 baht toll fees!
"I think something wrong you know. The meter a bit sala." I said
"Ya, I think so too. It shouldn't be more than 400 baht. Like that we might as well have taken the 600 baht limo. I read somewhere that some cab drivers tamper with the meter, such that the meter jumps proportionally to how much they rev" RT said.
Hmmm. That explains why the driver was speeding like crazy, and stepping on the accelearator even at traffic lights!
"So how?" I asked
"You get down first. And take watch the luggage. I go see can negotiate or not." RT said.
The final negotiated fare was 450 baht. Still way too high la. We found out from some guys who were on the same flight and putting up at the same place that they only paid 200 baht for the fare from the airport. Shit.
Nothing much that we could do, so we checked into Center Point (Petchburi). For $66 a night, the place is extremely spacious and well quipped with a pantry, a kitchen with cutlery and a microwave, and a living area with a DVD player! Nice.
Headed out to Patpong after checking in to meet up with Birdkeeper and Alien Head. Supper was kway chap and rojak at a roadside stall. Yummy, but I'm not so sure about the cleanliness of it.
That's Birdkeeper doing the ordering
No comments:
Post a Comment