Saturday, June 16, 2007

The Con of Women

The typical woman would have, on her dresser, the following items:

1) toner
2) moisturiser
3) eye cream
4) sunblock
5) foundation
6) make up (lipstick, blusher, eye shadow, mascara, eye liner)
7) make up remover
8) skin whitener

And in her handbag:

1) loose powder
2) make up (lipstick, blusher, eye shadow, mascara, eye liner)

I have none of the above, save for a coloured lip balm in my handbag, which I hardly use anyway.

Sometime during the week, a conversation I had with Miin while we were freshening up after lunch in the ladies convinced me to invest in at least a sunblock.

"It's important to at least use a sunblock. When you're young, you don't see it, until the accumulated harm causes the skin trauma. It happened to me and I had huge pigmentation patches on my face, which got worse with time. So I had it treated by Woffles Wu over a period of 6 months. Cost me almost 20 grand you know."

Her last statement did it.

I now have, on my dresser, moisturiser, eye cream and sun block.

I still feel that the overpriced prevent-your-skin-from-wrinkles, whiten-your-face, remove-eye-puffiness serums, creams and lotions are marketing gimmicks used to support cosmetic companies' huge-ass expenses. They sure understand the vanity and paranoia of women.

And I think I've started my journey of being sucked into that world. Partially. The make up department has not gotten me yet. I'm not a big fan of make up, so till someone convinces me that there are preventive measures to the skin that make up provides, I'm happy with the occasional coloured lip balm.

No comments:

My Middle Child

My middle child. Got scolded by the father for not concentrating when doing her chinese work. Fell asleep on the bus till the driver did...