Sunday, October 08, 2006

Song Affiliations

You know how we tend to associate certain songs with different people or phases in our lives? Well, I do at least. Let me give you some examples.

When I hear Beverly Craven's "Promise Me", Madonna's "Crazy For You", or MLTR's "25 minutes" I think of the nights that these songs kept me company during my preparation for my 'O' levels. There was always someone who would put up these songs as dedication requests over a programme at a dedicated time slot over the radio. Can't remember what it was though. "Say It With Music", I think.

Then when I hear Tommy Page's "I'll Be Your Everything", I go back all the way to Primay 6 and inevitably think of my dearest cousin, Kayestercan, and a polo sweet. (Haha, wei, you can remember why or not?)

And when it comes to realationships, there are the typical songs like Martina McBride's "Valentine", Chris De Burgh's "Forevermore", Daniel Beddingfield's "If You're Not The One", and the ever so unforgettable "My Heart Will Go On" from the movie Titanic. I watched that 3 times. Quite mad huh?

Just last night, I was taking a drive with an old friend and talking about random topics, when we broached the topic of relationships, why they didn't work out, why some are harder to let go of, what we would have done differently back then, our reactions if a certain ex came back etc etc. Then we went into this song affiliation thing.

So we continued talking whilst driving when all of a sudden, this friend went, "Ok! This is your 'Xxxxxx' (referring to an ex) song." when the track changed.

"You with the sad eyes
Don't be discouraged
Oh I realize......."

I listened to the start of it but couldn't remember the title of the song, despite its tune being familiar. Curiosity set in.

"It's hard to take courage
In a world full of people
You can lose sight of it all
And the darkness, inside you
Can make you feel so small..."

So I listened on, but I still could not associate it with anyone lor, let alone Xxxxxx. This song was never associated with anyone for that matter. In any case, how would this friend know which song I had associated with Xxxxxx anyway? Confusion set in.

And then the chorus (which contained the title of the song) played, and I immediately turned to look at my friend and grinned. Like a Cheshire cat. And then I laughed.

You see, this particular ex was pretty well known for his ways of ensuring that he did stuff which nobody could fault him for (read: had his ass covered). In the process, he had to sort of do things which he knew people would expect him to (regardless of whether he truly wanted to do it or not). Just so that he was always reigned as the "Ever-Righteous-Almighty-Who-Never-Does-Wrong" But one can't keep putting on a facade right?

Anyways, here's the chorus.... See how apt it is?

"And I'll see your true colours
Shining through
I see your true colours
And that's why I love you
So don't be afraid to let them show
Your true colours
True colours
, true colours"


You tell me la. How not to laugh la?

This friend said, "I wish I could have captured your expressions. They changed from curiosity to confusion to delight. Priceless lor."

6 comments:

Purples said...

Hey Shakespeare....

Of other's misery I do not gloat,
Though it's nice to see them in a similar boat.
Makes me wonder at the power of karma,
And who it is that takes care of my trauma.

My heart may have turned partially steel,
And will probably be till it can fully heal.
Despite the fact that wounds remain sore,
Glad I am that I saw thru his core.

Vengeance really isn't what I seek,
For of karma's wrath I do not want a peek.
If he needs to right the wrongs he did,
The call is his, but more of his antics I do not need.

The moral of the story actually is
With such people, there is never bliss.
When you finally get a glimpse of their true colours,
From them, you realise, you don't need any more favours.

Anonymous said...

I don't believe you two!!!

DON'T NEED TO WORK ONE MAIRRRRRRE?!?!?

No fair. Sulk.

Samantha Yong said...

For something that was written in 20 mins and DURING a MEETING...

I applaude thy poetic soul.

~sam

Anonymous said...

WRITTEN DURING MEETING SUMMORRRRE!!!

WALAUEHHHHHH.....

I'm still at work now you know!!!

Grrrr.

Paperman said...

Purples!!! You can rhyme! Wah seh... Me ish soooooo impressed...

Magneto too! Do I know you?

Purples said...

Thanks Vandice!

You might not know it but you did it too,
In your line that reads "Magneto too! Do I know you?"

:)

My Middle Child

My middle child. Got scolded by the father for not concentrating when doing her chinese work. Fell asleep on the bus till the driver did...