Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Mooncaking

The traditional ones...

The buttery crusted ones (Shanghainese)...

All made from scratch (save for the lotus paste) at tonight's baking class. This must be one class which I will be putting into practise in the coming weeks. One lesson tonight's class has highlighted to me, is the exorbitant prices that hotels and restaurants charge for this seasonal pastry. And its high-caloric contents. I mean, I knew a single mooncake contains calories that could possibly sustain me through a half marathon. But it didn't quite sink it till today, while I was kneading the pastry, and FELT how much oil and fats were in it!

I actually had fun making the mooncakes, so I'm gonna buy the ingredients and moulds and make them over the next few weekends. Perhaps I should revive the mooncake parties I used to have.

Any orders for my home made mooncakes? The shop sells moulds in all shapes and sizes. My mooncakes will probably come in Hello Kitty moulds.... :)

5 comments:

miss ene said...

HELLO KITTY!!!! HWAH! Even though I don't eat mooncakes, I WANT ONE!!!!

How much per piece, Miss Shades of Pink?

Pearl said...

can you do the champange truffle flavour? then i no need order from raffles hotel...

Purples said...

ene: Give you one la. But I need to go find the mould first k? And hor, I'm Purples. Shades of Pink is my friend. :)

oyster: champagne truffle flavour will be attempted on the week of 11 Sept. After I learn, I make, then can pass you some. Wanna join us?

Shades of Pink said...

Ene kenah big time!!

Wahahahaha.

Pearl said...

Ok count me in ya? must remind me...i always forgot haha..

My Middle Child

My middle child. Got scolded by the father for not concentrating when doing her chinese work. Fell asleep on the bus till the driver did...