Monday, August 10, 2009

Happy Birthday Baby Kieran! (070809)

This i s a backdated post, so I'm just gonna put the sequence of events in a timeline. Much easier. :)

7am: RT and I headed for TMC to be admitted on 7 Aug 2009. I am given an enema and sat in the toilet for the next 15 minutes to lau sai. (It was honestly quite gross)

845am: My worst fear happens. DR TAN APPEARS! Ok, I've grown scared of her cos of the checks she does via the vagina. It's extremely painful. Anyway, she comes in, bursts my water bag and gets me induced via the drip. Then she tells me to tahan the initial contractions so that I would know what contractions felt like. "Ask for the epidural when you really cannot take it." At this point, I was only 1.5cm dilated.

915am: Felt the first contractions but it was pretty ok, so decided to wait a while more. I asked the nurse how long it normally takes to get to 10cm and she said,"First baby usually 1cm per hour. So ah, you wait another 8 hours roughly la." 8 hours????

945am: The contractions got stronger and closer, almost 5-10 minutes apart. Immediately I asked for the epidural. (I should have asked for it from the START as my cousin advised.)

1030am: The anaethestist arrived as she was caught in a jam. But Dr Lillian Lee had to be my saviour for the day. Within 10 minutes of the administering the epidural, the contractions became a lot more bearable. Still could feel a slight tinge of it on my left side though.

12pm: The senior staff nurse checked me and said,"Quite a bit of show. Let me check the dilation." So she checks and she goes, "Wah! You're very good leh. 9.5cm already! We take you to the delivery ward and you try to push ok? I got other patients with their 2nd child still not even near 10cm yet." I think at this point RT panicked.

1230pm: "Ok, push like you want to pang sai ok?" the nurse said. "Can you feel the contractions?". I could still feel them slightly on the left and told her so. "Shall I reduce the dosage of epidural so you can feel and push?". Of course my reply was no la. Dr Tan also arrived around this time to do the delivery. "Very fast for first one ah. I was expecting you to only deliver at about 5 or 6 pm." Dr Tan said.

117pm: Think it was at the 4th set of pushes that Baby Kieran came out. And after that, all I could see was Dr Tan and her sewing kit right in front of me. I could see, but I didn't feel any pain at all. The wonders of EPIDURAL.

And now I leave you with a picture of Baby Kieran. Born on 7 August 2009 at 117pm.

Weight: 2.91 kg

Length: 49cm

Head circumference: 32cm

8 comments:

Sharon said...

so handsome.

For my first delivery, I was given the drip too.

Was quite surprised that u are pushed in the delivery ward only when u are ready to deliver. As for me, I was in my own delivery ward from the start. So I don't even know what is happening to other mummies

Sharon said...

Btw, it's a nice DOB. 789

Darren said...

I agree Kieran so handsome!

Congrats to the parents on the newborn!! The moment you waiting for is finally here. Good health to everyone.

Have a good rest and welcome to parenthood.

Anonymous said...

He looks like RT...

Unknown said...

Hey gal, congratulations! Baby Kieran is really adorable & handsome!

Purples said...

Thanks!

He does look like RT. Like a mini RT.

Sharon: Ya I also dunno how come they like to transfer here and there between the observation and delivery wards. The DOB is nice. That day itself saw a lot of C-sections.

crabbycrab said...

kieran's mummy, change your baby ticker lah, it still says '2more days to go'! ;P

kaye said...

Handsome prince! So cute... ...

My Middle Child

My middle child. Got scolded by the father for not concentrating when doing her chinese work. Fell asleep on the bus till the driver did...