That was what I was trying to teach a nine year-old over the weekend.
Q1. "Why is your sister crying?" Mother asked.
The response I got was, "Mother asked why is my sister crying." Wrong.
So I explained that you cannot report it as it is spoken directly, and that the subject has to come first, that it has to be in past tense, etc etc. So it should have been, "Mother asked why my sister was crying."
Q2. "Why are your hands dirty?" Mother asked.
The response came as, "Mother asked why were my hands dirty." Wrong again.
So this went on or quite a while, without him getting it right. Then it reached the point where I decided to prompt him halfway through his answer.
The question was, "Why is the floor wet?" my mother asked.
He started off, "My mother asked why...." and before he could finish, I interrupted with, "Remember ah, the subject comes first!"
He continued, "My mother asked why the floor wet."
???
Was I to laugh or to cry, you tell me?
I scolded.
But I think it's a very common mistake that Singaporeans (many adults at that) make by reporting the speech in exactly the order which it was spoken, the way Q1 was answered. And then, it is again very common for people to go all-lazy when speaking and leave out the verbs-to-be. Haven't we heard people going, "Eh, why you so late?" or "Why the chair so dirty?"
Which explains the deterioration of the next generation's English.
Wednesday, December 05, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
My Middle Child
My middle child. Got scolded by the father for not concentrating when doing her chinese work. Fell asleep on the bus till the driver did...
-
Sometimes, when I get bored, I get the urge to head to the hairdresser's and get something done to my hair. This time, I decided that I ...
-
Woke up at 4am to catch the finals between Djokovic and Fish. Disappointing. Wanted Fish to win. By the time the match ended, RT was awake a...
-
Caught The Lake House with Shades of Pink last evening. I might as well have spent the time taking the train to Lakeside for a decent dinner...
1 comment:
hey.. i found someone who is also very particular in speaking "PROPER ENGLISH" as you. He is to the extend that he will agrue with his relatives in a family gathering, stressing the importance of speaking proper english. ;) now you are not alone. hahah
Post a Comment