This question came up and became the topic of discussion during lunch one day. And then I brought it up again during dinner with another group of friends.
Here are some of the answers in relation to the characteristics of the three.
a) Octopus is the one with tentacles. Sotong and Cuttlefish no tentacles, but got the "chiu chiu" thing
b) Sotong and Cuttlefish swim sideways.
And some answers focused on nomenclature... ...
a) Sotong and Cuttle fish are the same la. Just depends on how they are cooked.
b) Different la. The names already different. Sotong is squid in English. Cuttlefish is cuttlefish.
c) Then the small small sotong is what? Baby squid ah?
And more champion answers relating to the colours... ...
a) Octopus is the ORANGE coloured one (this one probably eats too much Jap food and cold dish)
b) Octopus is the purple and white one la. What orange??
c) Ya. Sotong also purple and white. White with purple spots.
d) Cuttlefish is the 'rubber band" coloured one. Not the red ones, the translucent yellow ones.
e) Rubber band colour?? What is that? Rubber bands are red! Cuttlefish is beige in colour.
I realise I just eat. Sotong is the calamari one with rings right? Octopus is the orange ones they serve whole, head and tentacles. Cuttlefish, I only see the beige cut up parts in yong tau foo. I don't really know what the cuttlefish looks like.
So, what is it actually? :))
Post Edit:
I asked someone today and he said: All different. Cuttlefish got whiskers, and one is a malay breed. Sotong is just the malay name for squid, you sotong! Magneto, you are so clever lor.
At the insistence of Shades of Pink, here's what Purples found on Wikipedia. In order of appearance, the Squid, the Octopus and the Cuttlefish.


The cuttlefish can camouflage with its surroundings. Did you know that?
3 comments:
Thought I toldja to go wiki it....
The answers are amazing.
AMAZING right....I said so.
=D
Wah...
What an intellectually simulating lunch...
Nope... its not missing a 't'...
Aiyoh! Blog abt it somemore!
AMAZING indeed!
Post a Comment