This sight greeted me a couple of years back while I was on the train - a mother teaching her kid the alphabet. I didn't know whether to laugh or to feel sorry for the kid.
The mother had one of those alphabet books with huge letters and pictures which correspond to the letter. And then the mother goes.....
Mother: "A" for?
The kid looks at her blankly.
Mother: "A" for "ping guo"
?????
How does A even sound anything like the consonant P?
What is "B" then? "Qiu"?
Tuesday, March 24, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
My Middle Child
My middle child. Got scolded by the father for not concentrating when doing her chinese work. Fell asleep on the bus till the driver did...
-
Sometimes, when I get bored, I get the urge to head to the hairdresser's and get something done to my hair. This time, I decided that I ...
-
Woke up at 4am to catch the finals between Djokovic and Fish. Disappointing. Wanted Fish to win. By the time the match ended, RT was awake a...
-
Caught The Lake House with Shades of Pink last evening. I might as well have spent the time taking the train to Lakeside for a decent dinner...
2 comments:
That is just the plight of the Singapore kid.
The kid had it easier than me ok. I was english illiterate until at least P. 2 when I was hit on the head by a flying chalk board duster.
At least she knows A for ping guo.
Flying chalk board duster? Why did she do that?
Then again ah, don't teach anything might be better than "A" is for "ping guo".
Post a Comment