Saturday, September 02, 2006

Windsurfing Only Meant For Meteorologists

After a 4 month hiatus, Lion decided that we should go windsurf again. This time at the PA site, since we hadn't heard anything with regards to the tenure issues at the Pasta Fresca site. I personally had some concerns with the PA site and their rescue operations, and so I told him so. Lion was pretty sure that rescue boats had to be a standard safety measure at all windsurfing or sailing sites. Frankly, I don't remember ever seeing ANY rescue boats there at all lor.

Anyway, we met at the food centre and headed off to PA, where my concerns were proven true. Firstly, we had misplaced our licences so they wouldn't allow us to rent the equipment. Fair enough. Then Lion inquired about the rescue boats cos he spotted a sign which read "$30 for Rescue Boat". Here's an excerpt of the conversation.

Lion: Do you have rescue boats on standby in case surfers drift or have difficulty coming back?

PA Guy 1: Yes we have. And each rescue will cost $30.

Lion (with eyes wide open): You mean you charge for rescue?

PA Guy 1: Yes.

Lion: Isn't it a standard to have rescue boats look out for and bring people who are too far out at sea and in distress back to shore?

PA Guy 2: We have rescue boats, but unlike Pasta Fresca, we don't rescue as and when. It will serve as a reminder cos some people may know the winds are too strong or there's no wind, but still insist on going out. Then we have to rescue them. Besides, if we keep rescuing them, they will never learn to windsurf.

Lion: But there are times when the weather changes pretty quickly and we are caught unaware.

PA Guy 2: You're supposed to be able to gauge the weather and how it is changing.

At this point, Ms Purples cannot tahan liao and decides to put in her 2 cents worth.

Me: So what you are trying to tell us is that safety is not top priority here?

PA Guy 2: Safety definitely is a priority to us.

Me: If that is so, then why is it that you need to charge for the rescue service? Isn't it a standard safety measure that sea sports centres practice? It's like visiting a public pool with a lifeguard, but if I'm struggling to keep afloat, I have to pay the lifeguard before he will save me.

PA Guy 2: No, the notice just serves as a reminder.

Me: So I guess the only option is for us to PAY to retake the course and obtain the licence. And then PAY for the rescue service to ensure that our safety is not compromised?

PA Guy 2: Yes. It's the club's regulation.

Me: All this coming from a club that is under People's Association?

PA Guy 2: Yes.

Me: Well, it seems to me that the rescue service is more of a money making tactic, rather than a concern for the public's safety. It's good to have people in distress so that you guys can earn the 30 bucks.

PA Guy 2: No, mam, it's not like that. Of course if it were a genuine case, we will waive the rescue charge.

Me: It's fine really. That was just feedback on my part. You can decide what you want to do with it.

Frankly, if all these had happened at Pasta Fresca, a privately owned place, I might have understood the 'pay $30 for rescue' clause. And I'm not saying that I would have accepted it, but hey, dollars and cents count to them right? But PA? And really, does fuel cost so much?

I see that windsurfing has become a sport limited to meteorologists or mortals who have mastered the skill that only Jesus has - walking on water.

2 comments:

RT said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
RT said...

a) Expert in windsurfing
b) Meteorologist
c) Jesus
d) None of the above

Being a (d), I might need to use the rescue service several times per session.
Dear me...does PA accept credit card???

My Middle Child

My middle child. Got scolded by the father for not concentrating when doing her chinese work. Fell asleep on the bus till the driver did...