Sunday, August 20, 2006

Fund Raising for Noah's Ark (NANAS)

Since I had volunteered to help out at Noah's Ark Natural Animal Sanctuary (NANAS), I met Catherine at Boon Lay yesterday afternoon and we did some attendance taking as well as money collection at the pick up point. When everyone had arrived, we headed off for NANAS located at Gelang Petah, in JB. As we were going in via 4 minivans, I was so NOT looking forward to immigration (or "Imigresen") cos going in minivans meant having to get off the bus to clear immigration. To make matters worse, there were these 3 ladies who were complaining like hell the whole way. If they were not complaining, they were yakking. Non stop. And having one of the van drivers lock everyone out of the van with the key in the ignition did not help the situation! It just resulted in more complaining from the 3 parties. Thank goodness for an "Aero Line" bus parked next to us, which gave them something to explore whilst waiting. (For those planning to go to KL, this AeroLine bus is pretty comfortable. $47 one way)

Well, as they always say, first impressions may not always be right. One of these ladies turned out to be quite hilarious, really. Very animated.

So after all the queueing at immigration and waiting for the lock of the bus to be picked, we finally arrived at NANAS at about 4pm. For those not familiar with NANAS, it's actually a place for abandoned animals, mainly dogs. There are also cats and retired race horses. It was here that I learnt what happens to race horses the moment they are not able to race. They get shot and fed to the lions and tigers at the zoo. Sad, isn't it?

Good to know that there are still some people with a conscience who bother to place their race horses at NANAS.

It is also difficult to understand why some people can find it in them to cut out puppies' paw pads, keep their dogs in cages for a year without clearing the mess in the cage, or would rather abandon their dog than pay the vet fees of 300 ringgit for treatment of a wound. I guess it takes all kinds to make the world. Bless Raymond (the guy who devotes all his time at NANAS) and the many volunteers who find the time to help out at NANAS.

Here are some shots I took at NANAS.

And on the way back, check out what I had for dinner with Ronald MacDonald at this 8888 restaurant. All these for just 40 ringgit. The empty plate was initially filled with garlic prawns. We had wanted the garlic crayfish, but they didn't have crayfish yesterday. :(

Thanks Ronald MacDonald for deciding to come into NANAS later. It saved me the arduous task of getting on and off the van at immigration. Phew!

And when I got home, guess who were the first to greet me as usual?

Jaime and Barkley!

2 comments:

Shades of Pink said...

Besides being an English teacher, you can be a tour guide too! Yipee! Hahahahahah.... =)

Anywaes, why you call him Ronald MacDonald?!?!?!? This is too funny.

Gladja had a good time though. You didn't sound too up to it initially. Is Azlan still there?

Purples said...

Cos I couldn't think if a name, so I used what you used. Easier.

Ya, it was fun. Met some funny people. And Azlan has passed on. Very sad. Now they have a retriever and a few labs, including a chocolate one. Very cute.

My Middle Child

My middle child. Got scolded by the father for not concentrating when doing her chinese work. Fell asleep on the bus till the driver did...