Monday, August 28, 2006

A Discovery on 'Discovery'

AWRY.

Believe it or not, I've been pronouncing this word wrongly for the whole twenty something years of my life. And using it so confidently, thinking I've been pronouncing it right all this while! I've always known it to be pronounced as "or-ree" like in Lawry's Ribs, until a couple of days ago. I was watching "Discovery Home & Health" when the guy on the programme said, "The minute he entered the room, everything went a-rye!" I was like, "Everything went...what?" I ran through the possibilities in my head and pinned it down to 'awry', at the same time wondering how and why the guy on telly pronounced it the way he did. Anyway, I checked the dictionary and the guy was right lor. It is pronounced 'a-rie'. Like, "a try" or "a pie".

But.....but it's prounouced awful right? So when is the 'a' stuck with the 'w' and when is it not? The English language is a funny one.

"Or-ree". Hmm. What were my English oral examiners thinking of me then?

What shall I have for dinner tomorrow? Lo-rye's Ribs? Heh. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG are you serious? I have been mispronouncing it my whole life too. Could it be difference in British and American pronounciation? My whole life has been a lie! LOL

NC

Purples said...

I really don't know you know. But it was the Oxford dicky that I referred to, so it should be the British pronunciation. But never mind la, if people ask, just tell them it's the British and American thing. So both not wrong. :)

My Middle Child

My middle child. Got scolded by the father for not concentrating when doing her chinese work. Fell asleep on the bus till the driver did...